Raising cacti from seed is simple and rewarding.
- Fill a pot with a moist, gritty, loam-based compost, or cacti compost. Gently firm down and level the surface.
- Scatter your mixed cactus seeds over the surface, taking care not to sow them too thickly.
- Leave the pot in a greenhouse or on a warm windowsill. Seedlings will develop within a few weeks.
- The following spring, your seedlings should be ready to transplant. Use a fork or spoon to gently tease out individual cacti, taking care not to catch the spikes on your skin.
- Part-fill a small pot with gritty compost and gently ease the cactus seedling into place.
- Keep in a sunny spot such as a windowsill, and pot on as and when you need to.