- Cucumber plants are seeded or transplanted outside in the ground no earlier than 2 weeks after last frost date. Cucumbers are extremely susceptible to frost damage.
- The soil must be at least 70ºF (21°C) for germination. Do not plant outside too soon!
- Before you plant outside, select a site with full sun.
Soil should be neutral or slightly alkaline with a pH of 7.0. Mix in compost before planting to a depth of 5 cm (2 in).
- For an early crop, start cucumber seeds indoors about 3 weeks before you transplant them in the ground.
- The main plant care requirement for cucumbers is water—consistent watering!