- For proper germination, soil should not be warmer than 70ºF (21°C).
- Select a planting site with full sun to light shade and well-drained soil.
- Although seeds can be started indoors, it is not recommended, as seedlings are difficult to transplant.
- Sow seeds ½-inch to 1-inch deep (1,5-2,5 cm), covering lightly with soil. Sow about 12 seeds per foot of row, or sprinkle over a wide row or bed.
Water the new plants well in the spring.. When seedlings sprout to about 2 inches (5 cm), thin them to 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) apart.
Keep soil moist with mulching.
- Spinach can survive a frost and temps down to 15ºF (-9°C).